Sunday, February 08, 2009

Some more on IR photos

I posted some IR photos to my facebook page, and one of my friend was enticed and begin searching for more info about IR photography, and he find THIS PAGE (in Chinese).

According to this Taiwan guy, he gets good result with his istDS + 720nm IR filter; and he use his DS solely for the purpose of IR photos. He is bold enough to remove the internal IR pass filter inside his DS on his own, and replace it with an 720nm IR filter....

One of the major problem with IR photos (on digital) is the ultra low sensitive and hence long exposure time even under bright sunlight. This is because the internal IR filter was used to filter most of the IR light reaching the CCD / CMOS, and left only a very small portion for exposure. If you remove the internal IR pass filter, you can get a 'normal' exposure time. (The 720nm IR filter, as the guy replaced it for the original internal IR pass filter, merely filter off visible light spectrum and make sure the photo is not 'ordinary'.

The guy also said that we need to block the VF during exposure. Maybe that's the reason I get bandings / flares in my IR photos. More test is needed. I am also planning to try using my istD for IR. Or maybe I can get a 720nm filter too...

PS. I am a clumsy DIY man, and surely I cannot manage the complicated DIY job. ;(

No comments: