Sunday, November 05, 2006

Good result with macro filter









This is a high-quality 2-elements macro adaptor producted by Olympus, originally meant for small DC. I used it on my Tokina ATX 80-200/2.8 with very good results.

People sometimes complain they cannot get good result with macro filters, but I think it mainly the results of cheapy single element filter and using of cheap zooms. With a quality filter and quality lens, the result should be good.

However, I really don't recommend using filter as the solution for macro photography. First, you only get a very limited focusing distance with a macro filter, you will always need to move back-and-forth your camera to focus. Second, a quality macro filter is not easy to obtain and ofter quite expensive. I happen to buy my OM macro adaptor with my old OM4040 DC, but I spent HK$650 for it.

PS: I am very sure the OM macro filter is made of 2 (or more) lens elements: I get some dust between the elements.... :(

No comments: