Monday, October 30, 2006

Pentax F70-200/4-5.6







This is NOT the famous F70-210 version (rumor that the 70-210 has ED elements inside). I saw this F70-200 at a local 2nd hand shop, mistaken it to be the famous, and unfortunately paid my money without further checking. Too bad Pentax gears are too hot in the 2nd hand market and you really have to act fast. You just don't have the time to go back home and google it for a while and go back to the shop the next day - the lens won't be there anymore.

Thou the F70-200/4-5.6 should be the chicken version of the 70-210, it's still not a bad lens. It's not cripsy sharp, and tends to be softer at tele end. However, the sharpness is good enough to give me a decent full screen view, which is somewhat bigger than a 8x12" print. I remember this is a really a cheap zoom, so I think it's good enough. I don't have a detail comparision with my other tele-lens, but I think it's on par with my Tamron 70-300/4-5.6.

Color tone is the best part of this lens. It's a bit warm and very vivid in color, and the skin tone in portrait is just great! It beats the Tamron hands-down in color tone.

Bokeh is a very important aspect in tele-lens. The out-of-focus area of F70-200 is good, at least it don't render the lines into ugly double-lines like the Tamron. Since it is not a large apeature lens, you should not expect the out-of-focus to be creamy - ie. don't expect the bokeh to be excellent.

Pentax is a very strange company that it's F lens are better than the FA lens, especially in the cheap zoom ranges. I am quite sure F70-200 is still better than the dog-tele-zooms in the FA or FAJ range. I have not test the DA50-200 yet, but my gut feel is that the DA will be sharper and higher-contrast than the F version.

No comments: