Friday, December 22, 2006

Hoya and Pentax merge!

Hoya and Pentax just annouced their merger.

I havn't go into the details of the merger, but I do believe the Pentax brand name will be continued for the cameras and lens. If this will be the case, it's definitely a good news for Pentax (camera) users, because that means the production capacity of Pentax cameras and lens can be increased if needed, and it should be easlier to buy new Pentax lens. The R&D for new lens can be speed up too, if there is sufficient demand.

To the lease, we Pentax userrs no need to worry whether Pentax will bankrupted in near future, and we can continue to buy the K mount cameras and lens for many years, whatever the brand name will be.

My worry is, neither Pentax nor Hoya has do a good job in consumer electronic market. They may not be able to play a good game in the marketing of Pentax (or Hoya-Pentax) cameras / lens, and the K-mount system might continue to decline...

Let's cross our finger about this merger.

3 comments:

koeiru said...

Makes me want to buy a canon or nikon body so I can use those great Tokina lens (same Pentax quality? for much less money?).

Anonymous said...

I think we can have Hoya SMC filter in the future .....

Toby Chiu said...

I don't think Tokina will get the SMC because the operation of Tokina and Pentax should be relatively independent. On the other hand, Pentax will loss 50% of it's edge if SMC is not exclusive.

Since I don't use much filter, I do fancy the idea of SMC Hoya filter. But if it comes in Cokin P system, and comes with various gradation filters, that will be very very nice!!