Wednesday, October 11, 2006

DA21/3.2 - two more test shots





Unprocessed 100% crop (click on the image to see full size):


The color is very good, staturated by not overly cartoon.

I only shot jpeg in this two shots, and my istD is infamous of it's soft jpeg. See the cloth texture is rendered in the unprocessed 100% crop: it's nice and I am sure it will be much better with later Pentax DSLR's jpeg.

one side commend: I don't have any complain with the 'soft' jpeg. I agreed with luminous-landscape that the 'softness' is actually non-aggressive (and non-distruction) approach of the istD's in camera processing. It just leave the photofrapher more room in post editing.

Will post more sample when I've shot some better picture in RAW.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Toby

Just got the DA21 a couple of days ago. Had high expectations - but unfortunately I was disappointed. I seems to be unable to auto-focus correctly. Your 100% crop seems OK - but what is the F-stop? I find that I have to stop down at least to F8 to overcome the problem of incorrect AF.

Yours
Lars K. Christensen
Denmark

PS: Very interesting blog for a Pentax owner ;-)

Toby Chiu said...

Dear Lars,

Thank for your message.

With my istD, my DA21 also mis-focus sometimes. To be honest, Pentax isn't the best in AF technology, and will have mis-focus some time. When correctly focused, the pic by DA21 is very good, sharp even wide open. But you have to be more careful with focus - mis-focus on a wide angle lens is more difficult to spot out from the viewfinder.

Anonymous said...

Since my first comment, I have found out how to adjust the AF through the "hidden" service menu. This has helped a lot.
I think I will get to like this lens eventually.

Yours
Lars K. Christensen