Friday, October 06, 2006

Pentax DA 16-45/4 EDAL





 

  Posted by Picasa

3 Years ago, I almost jump to Nikon when I decided to buy a DSLR. The Nikon D70 was much cheaper than the istD I am using now, and I always Nikon as a good system for digital.

the DA 16-45/4 changed my mind. I opt for the Pentax DSLR just because of this lens.

It was and still is the widest affordable standard zoom lens for digital. Yes you can choose a 17-40 with the full frame Canon DSLRs, but the price is out of question for me.

It gives very good image quality. Maybe it cannot beat a real good prime lens, but there is not much difference especially in terms of resolution. Before I bought it, I google it and find someone did a very scientific test with it against the Canon 17-40/4 L and concluded they are on par. But the Pentax is half the price of the Canon.

On the negative side, the DA16-45/4 is high contrast, so don't expect too much with the shadow details. It also tends to underexposure more serious than my other lens, but that's just my feeling - no test done. It quite heavy, and it's big.

I seldom use this lens on serious landscape or sceneic shots. But this is my most used lens in travelling and family / social gathering. It spent some great moment with me, and it's part of my daily life. Ain't that's what photography meant for?

I have briefly compare it with the DA 18-55/3-5-5.6 kit lens. It beat the kit lens in image quality, hands down. A lot of people can't understand the difference between 16mm and 18mm. I tell you, it's a lot. The relationship between shoting angle and focal length is not linear, it a tangent scale.

I will use my DA21/3.2 or FA*24/2 when I lurk around and snapping. But I will definitely use DA16-45/4 at family, social gathering, hiking or business trips, and add a tele-zoom when I go to travel with my family.

No comments: