Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Pentax DA14/2.8

 
 
 

Why I buy this? The Pentax DA 14/2.8 is smaller and cheaper than all competitors. Period. Yes, all other compeitors are designed for a full-frame coverage on 35mm film. But I will not use the lens on film anyway. Why should I care?

I get this lens immediately when I knew it arrived Hong Kong (and paid a premium price natually).

The legendary SMC coating on Pentax lens can substatially reduce flares and ghost images, which is particularly important in ultra-wide lens. The DA14/2.8 isn't 100% flare free, but it's already excellent. The sample photos clearly demonstrate how good this lens handles direct sunlight.

Just as other DA lens, the DA14/2.8 is a bit contrasty than old-days Pentax MF lens. It's not a problem, it's just the characteristic of the DA lens. I personally don't find any problem with this because it actually looks better screen.

Distortion control is also very good. But that's pretty much expected for a fix-focal length ultra-wide lens. If not, everyone will goes for a ultra-wide zoom instead.

My only complain is the size and weight. But how can I expect more from a ultra-wide lens? So it's only my personal comment.

Many people compare this lens with the Pentax DA12-24/4 zoom lens. I havn't use the 12-24, so can't really comment. Judge from the photos I've seen on the web, the 12-24 is also a great lens with very good distortion and flare control. In general, ultra-wide lens are difficult to frame (when you wants a really good picture), and it's certainly much easily to frame with a zoom than a fix-focal length. Fix focal length has advantage over zoom lens in distortion, flare control, and larger apeature.

My advise for those who can't decide between 12-24 or 14 is: go for the zoom if you can decide. If you really appreciate the advantage of a ultra-wide fix-focal lens, you won't be un-decided. And, congratulations! You are a real master photographer! For the record, I will be unable to decide between the 12-24 and the 14 if both were available 2 years ago, when I purchase the DA14. Posted by Picasa

No comments: